Saturday 29 October 2011

Yes, I would like to pass my degree...

Home sweet home: three blissful words. It's always nice to return home when you are greeted with open arms and the kettle is on the boil. Everyone is fussing over their 'baby' of the house, fattening me up with everything in sight. I have missed feeling healthy, drinking actual bottled water, and eating nutritious dinners with real tasting vegetables, rather then Iceland's £1 frozen vegetables. Fresh bed sheets on my sincerely missed double bed means I will definitely be sleeping like a starfish tonight, to take full advantage of leg room! It's hit home, literally, on how tired I am; falling asleep all the time... apart from getting overly excited to go shopping in Tkmaxx. (Any one from home who knows me will know that my sister and I used to practically live there till closing everyday!) I feel as though I have been on holiday this weekend, although I did feel guilty watching TV after Chris' talk on avoiding 'entertainment' shows. But, as it included a bit of Question Time (educational stuff) which was filmed in Winchester Cathedral I figured he would let me off. On the topic of TV, I'll make it clearer for you by explaining Chris's pet talk on how to pass our Degree.

The discussion on how to pass our degree took place during our introduction to the new module of our course: 'Journalism Now'. This entails news clinics where we have each been assigned a newspaper to religiously follow. In my instance I will be reading 'The Independent', (or the 'I') ready to inform the others in seminar group A.

Time to get technical - Newspaper Jargon:
The Standing Head - This is the head of the paper, or in this case the large 'i' in the top left hand corner
Modular - This is the layout of the newspaper, it is divided in to paras and smaller boxed sections
Linear - This is the layout of news on TV, new which follows on one thing after the other
Barkers - These are the features at the top of the newspaper
Leader Article - This is the article which is full of comment
Content - This is categorised by advertising and editorials

Remember- News is events led, Features are production led.

As we have been advised to only summarise on our blogs, I will briefly explain Horrie's top tips:
1. Most importantly, read read read read read read read read read! Newspapers should accompany you everywhere, this will show you how journalism is done as no one can teach you better then reading and analysing it for yourself.
2. Hide the remote, block all forms of TV out, including the BBC news for this term, as you are putting yourself in danger of Obesity. As mentioned earlier, this is an entertainment scheme, we must get used to the idea of educating ourselves through the medium of books, and listening to the radio.
3. Never be late, every second counts.
4. Always meet deadlines without fail. Imagine a line -------- if you cross it you are dead.

I guess if you do not follow these tips you will end up obese and dead - and obviously degreeless. (That will be my last 'witty' comment, as Chris already knows that we are cute, so from here on I will aim to be  informative. Starting with the time, the clocks have gone back an hour tonight, so enjoy your extra hour sleep everyone! Zzzz

No comments:

Post a Comment