Thursday 27 October 2011

WINOL 26/10/11

It’s never easy to be critical without sounding harsh, so I will use the famous saying “be cruel to be kind” to justify my comments…

I have to say, this weeks WINOL has been one of the weakest I have seen so far. In general the news felt rushed and disorderly, partly because of the jerky editing between scenes, and fast paced reading off crumpled bits of paper blowing in the wind. In some cases, the background noise, for instance during the football review, over powered the voice making it hard at times to grasp what was being said. Although it seems like I am instantly being negative, when it comes to being behind a camera, especially after studying A level Photography, details such as angles, panning and depth of field stand out to me. Unfortunately, it became confusing at times, when a shallow depth of field technique was used; images were out of focus for more then they were in focus, and by the time the image was sharp it instantly changed not allowing the viewer time to absorb what they are looking at.  On the plus side, the story which stood out for me was the Unison protests in Southampton, this is because the atmosphere on the streets was conveyed well through shots of people and banners. In addition, the sports news was extremely extensive providing those interested in sport with a variety of updates from rugby, football and ice hockey.

On the whole, although the transition between stories and people felt disjointed, this weeks bulletin did cover a variety of interesting news stories. They were supported by precise statistics which certainly ticks the box for accuracy. 

2 comments:

  1. You weren't anywhere near as cruel as you made out you'd be! I noticed the depth of field thing too, it was a little annoying wasn't it! Good review though :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Harry! :) Although, I did feel slightly critical reviewing students with far more experience then me!

    ReplyDelete