Wednesday 12 October 2011

Court Rise

A new experience to add to my list: going to court. (plus being searched with a metal detector) 

When we first arrived at Winchester Crown Court I felt as though I had walked into the wrong building, It felt surreal to say the least being in a building where real cases are being held, with real victims, and real judges. (The only thing that was not real was the perfectly groomed matching wigs) After sitting in what felt like a hospital waiting room, we plucked up the courage to enter the public gallery. To my surprise, it was just Nadine and I, which added to how conscious we had already felt being among professionals. (We did get a smile from the rosy faced judge though!) The small room was filled with the likes of the Jury, Judge, Solicitors, Witnesses, and Security; as well as a few other extra things I noticed. For one, the jugs that they used to drink water from looked as though it was a vase made for flowers. Secondly little notes going to and fro between the Jury to the Judge seemed all very confidential and important, only to be read out and questioned as to whether it was "a question worth asking?" this was one of a few intimidating moments.  On the whole It was a valuable experience which allowed me to put into perspective how the court runs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment