Friday 9 December 2011

Winchester Hospital Fire

Firefighters dealt with a fire which initiated in the MRI department at Hampshire County Hospital in Winchester about 4pm today. No one has been injured. 


Photograph taken by Ben Steer
As I was working at the Christmas Market at the time, all I had heard were rumours, but it was soon confirmed when an evacuated patient wondered off and found her way to my stand. She was in an unstable way, shaken up, scared and confused... the number of questions running through my mind at this point were unbelievable. The cathedral staff helped her return back to the hospital safely.  

I was overwhelmed by the smell of smoke as I walked home through town; Romsey Road has been closed off and police are on stand by. This was all such a shock to students and residents, but to look on the bright side, no one was hurt. 

A huge credit goes out to all those firefighters and hospital staff that dealt with the safety of those affected by the fire so efficiently.

No comments:

Post a Comment