Thursday 17 November 2011

WINOL 16/11/11 - Paedophile Case

This weeks WINOL, was yet again another success. I was particularly interested in the paedophile court case, as it brought to my attention the laws which they had to abide by. The fact that it raised a personal thought into whether the man had been libeled, made me realise how much I have learnt about the law since starting here. Baring in mind I would never have considered questioning it before starting the course.

Although all aspects of Libel have occurred (identified by name, age and picture, published by WINOL, defamed as a pedophile) the students have a Qualified Privilege defense, which allows them to legally publish defamatory statements as he has been convicted in court.

2 comments:

  1. Hate to say it, but paedophile is spelt with the 'A' in the UK, you're adopting the American spelling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. very good analysis and application of learning to a practical example

    ReplyDelete