Friday 7 December 2012

WINOL Week 9


The first semester of WINOL is over already! And the torch from the third years is soon to be passed down. I have learnt unbelievable amounts this semester from lecturers and my fellow peers, in particular the advice, encouragement and support from the third years will be certainly missed in the new year. It's come to that time of the year where the second years are going to have to step up and take charge.

This week I did my final court report, covering a murder sentencing. I was hoping to cover a broader issue this week as it related to the tougher sentencing law on knife crime. However, a potential interview with an officer fell through when the press office said said they couldn't comment on the matter. Therefore, I was back to scrabbling together a visually interesting court report. I managed to get hold of a picture of the defendant as well as the victim, from Portsmouth Corporate Communications. In addition to a statement from the family, which added depth to the report and made a change from normal. This also broke up the PTC outside court.

In addition I went to Trimline in Southampton for Spence's top story on the Ministry of Defence contract. This was a great morning, Spence arranged it all and carried out the interviews professionally, it was nice to hear from the workers, and we were spoilt for choice with GVs. We filmed some sequences which introduced the speakers nicely, adding detail from different points of view - a great experience. Check it out:


Guest Editor this week was Mike Bushell from BBC Breakfast, hear what he had to say about WINOL-



I'd like to take this time to also say Thank You to all of the help given to me by the third years, and to Flick and George who as fellow Court Reporters coached me! It's been an intense semester, but it wouldn't of been as enjoyable without everyone being apart of a team and working together. It's been a pleasure, we hope to do you proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment