Friday 11 May 2012

Witnessing WINOL

Today marked the start of TV production, something I have become increasingly interested in after visiting riverside studios and even more so after watching the hardworking 2nd years produce WINOL. Both experiences were interesting, entertaining and overall a learning curve, especially the professionalism and commitment the students have in the studio/gallery here.

It was a great day, I got to observe all the different roles, from director to editor to presenter to backstage production, such as VT 's packages, sound and and auto-cue (I even did a bit of controlling the auto-cue!) They taught me a lot, but one thing I have certainly grasped is the importance of team work...no matter what role you have you all need to pull together, because everyone plays a part no matter if its as little as pressing buttons. We are all important and relied upon. 

I was told to "just do it" it may sound harsh, but its the only way to get out of your comfort zone. I backed out of everything I was asked to do if it involved being in front of the camera, but I guess I am going to have to tell myself that if I never do it, I'll never get over it. If you are like me and you live in a box your whole life, and anything out of that box you run away from, then this a fear we have to shake off. It's time to step out of it and experience it all, we are all bound to make mistakes but we all know that's the best way of learning. 

The whole atmosphere was encouraging and productive, I am sure it's a lot more intense when it's the day of the live bulletin but its lovely to see the supportive and uplifting nature they had between one-another. It was extremely daunting and nerve-wracking to think that'll be us freshers next year! It made me realise how scary it is to be on the other side of the camera, but they have all got on with it and are now comfortable with what they do. Everyone listened to each other, they were very authoritative and in control at all times, I know they will be good trainers and hopefully we can follow in their footsteps and maintain the high standard they have set.

Thanks for all the advice, your patience and reassurance is appreciated! :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment