Thursday 16 February 2012

Audio - From Fresh to Frozen Food

Get the chance to choose any topic in the world, and I choose food, not at all surprising...
No point me explaining it, have a click and listen, sorry for the deep sounding voice, I had a throat infection!


Script

I would like to think that I am not the only one whose mind is constantly distracted by what may be in my fridge. Even after every meal the comfort of reopening the fridge to check what else there is to eat is a habit I just cannot shake. However the contents of what may be crammed in to my small cupboard, or shelf in my fridge, is sadly far from the luxuries and quality of home. After coming to university, I can promise mum I will never complain about her cooking. What was I thinking when I would call her lazy if she chose to cook something quick in the oven? She would only ever make me microwaveable food now and then when she was short of time, and now, I do nothing but use the radiation machine. It has to be the most used kitchen facility in my flat; warming up my weekly supplies of Iceland’s cheapest micro meals, Heinz baked beans, and too often last nights Domino’s pizza. This may sound like I am just rambling on about food, and although that is what I know best, I am emphasising upon the point of appreciation for food with flavour, taste, and most importantly solidity. Although the idea of solid foods may seem absurd to you because this is the norm, I am exaggerating the fact that I have revisited my childhood of liquefied foods. For instance, “Smash” which although is probably one of the best inventions of mash potato, is purely powder and boiling water; a prime example of how artificial the food is that us students eat. I imagine my mothers crispy roast potatoes, but that is always short lived when my attempt at spicing up the food with some salt and pepper fails. I guess I have to accept that my taste buds are hibernating until I go home for the weekend. I have to say my weekly trip to Iceland has to be one of my highlights, purely because I am there to buy food, and food is what I love. But it is also largely down to the fact that it is cheap. As a student, budgeting our money is what all our parents nag on about, but it is true. For the first time ever, I brought my eggs from the 99p store. Now what does that tell you? Not only does it prove my point of buying it for the sake of it being only a pound, but the fact it is so cheap can only mean that it is of a poor standard. Lets be honest, buying eggs from pound land is just not right. From being brought up in a family where we eat only free range eggs, and organic chickens this is a mistake I won’t make again. I take my hat off to parents out there who cook everyday for their children; therefore I take my hat off to my parents. The moment I’d most look forward to from coming home after a long day at school and jumping in front of the TV, would be to ask mum what was for dinner tonight. Sadly this is now the question I dread to ask myself every day, because I know for convenience it’ll be something out of a box. My point being that due to money, time and quality of food, a balanced and healthy diet will have to be sacrificed in replace for a degree. It seems that my insides are going to have to suffer for three years, till I can swap packet soups for homemade soup, and return back to the pleasures I take for granted.
                                                                                                   

No comments:

Post a Comment